Former McLouth Steel County Property
MSC Land Company, LLC (MSC) successfully completed the first phase of the redevelopment of the southern portion of the former McLouth Steel facility in Trenton, MI on November 18, 2021. MSC retained ASTI Environmental and D-21 Demolition, LLC to complete the intial scope of work necessary to clear subsurface structures and demolish the various structures and buildings on the property. The project team worked with regulators from EPA and EGLE, as well as representatives from Wayne County and the City of Trenton, to implement the scope of work as the first step in preparing the property for redevelopment.
The property was acquired around 1947 by the McLouth Steel Company (McLouth), and used for the integrated production of steel and iron from approximately 1948 to 1996. McLouth operated both a basic oxygen furnace (BOF) and electric arc furnace (EAF) on the Subject Property. By 1975, the Subject Property had attained the configuration and development that exists today. After about 1975, production decreased, until McLouth ceased operations in April of 1996 after filing for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection on September 29, 1995.